What Can Acupuncture Treat?
There are several mechanisms by which acupuncture works to effect a healing response:
- Acupuncture reduces inflammation by interacting with the immune system.
- Acupuncture promotes a relaxation response in the nervous system which promotes healing.
- Acupuncture promotes circulation which brings in nutrients and removes waste products.
- Acupuncture releases endorphins, the body’s natural opiate painkillers, which reduce pain and promote feelings of happiness.
Acupuncture can be beneficial for many health concerns. Below are some common conditions that can be effectively treated. Please feel free to contact me about your specific health condition.
Acupuncture works to resolve pain and promote healing by reducing inflammation, improving circulation, releasing endorphins and balancing the nervous system. It can help with most types of pain, and is a safe, natural alternative to potentially harmful pain medications. Whether you have acute or chronic pain, acupuncture can gently switch on the body’s natural painkilling responses and speed up your return to normal movement and function.
- Sports injuries
- Muscle and joint pain
- Back pain and sciatica
- Neck and shoulder pain
- Carpal tunnel syndrome
- Repetitive strain injuries (like tennis elbow)
- Headaches and migraines
Women’s Health, Fertility and Pregnancy
Through restoring balance in the body’s nervous and endocrine systems, acupuncture can help women regulate their menstrual cycles, cultivate optimal fertility, and support a thriving pregnancy. It promotes the ideal conditions for conception by reducing stress, balancing hormones, and encouraging better blood flow to the ovaries and uterus, and can be useful for treating many women’s health issues including PMS, painful periods and menopause symptoms.
- Infertility & IVF support
- Morning sickness
- Pre-birth acupuncture to prepare for labor
- Labor induction
- Menstrual cycle irregularities
Mental and Emotional Wellbeing
Acupuncture is widely accepted as an effective means of stress management. The treatment strongly promotes calm and relaxation, relieving mental and emotional stress, and regulating things like sleep and digestive function, which may have been disrupted, helping you feel like yourself again. Acupuncture can be used to help reduce sugar, caffeine and nicotine cravings, and recent research even shows show that it can relieve the symptoms of age-related cognitive decline.
- Addictions & smoking cessation
- Colds & flu
- Heartburn, acid reflux
- Irritable Bowel Syndrome (IBS)
- Indigestion and bloating
- Chronic loose stools or constipation
- Peptic ulcer
- Nausea and vomiting